forever lost in the deep blue

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

In search of the Lions

Despite the David Attenborough-ishness of the title, I'm really not referring to felines but to the more human charitable foundation.
I wasted a good hour in Doma Laukums waiting for this mythical meeting to start, and looking ridiculous in front of the hotel Concierge to boot.
As it turns out, they had changed their meeting time from 3.00pm to 7.00pm
Honestly, you'd think that such an international organisation would have by now understood the importance of updating their information online, wouldn't you?

The whole idea of joining that institution did look very enticing till today. Having just found their Latvian website and browsed through their photographs, I'm not so sure I'd fit into their rather staid clique.
Beautifully coiffed ladies "promenading" in Riga's parks, or cigar smoking men cocooned in their private clubs, just doesn't match my expectation of active leading altruists.

I suppose I should attend at least one meeting and see how it goes, who knows I might not be invited to become a member anyway.

On a completely different note, I nearly lost my patience today after the umpteeth poorly controlled primary arterial hypertensive patient turned up at the polyclinic.
Is it asking too much of Latvian General Practitioners to correctly medicate their patients? They seem to have forgotten that there are a lot more drugs available these days other than your bog-standard 5mg bisoprolol, or is Concord just too easy to remember?
It's really rather simple if 5mg doesn't work, increase the dose or try a different anti-hypertensive group of drugs.
The incompetence of some GPs put the entire clan's reputation at risk, I wish they'd keep it mind. Perhaps, this is due to the fact that so many people join the medical profession for either the money or the status, and so few because they truly wish to be good clinicians.




“There is nothing settled, nothing staid in this universe”
(Virginia Woolf)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home